It has been a busy year for us since Spring when we started on a bathroom remodel. We took out the old gold fixtures, seashell and sea-foam green colored tiles, cracked tub and updated it with a timeless classic look, that features a claw-foot tub. We used porcelain tiles for the floor. We purchased an old claw-foot tub at a salvage yard; cleaned it, sanded it and had it painted. I bought a new antique style shower surround at an online store for the tub, added a pedestal sink and a cute vanity mirror that has a little shelf. We put up bead-board all the way around the room. Found Hookless shower curtains to add more vintage touches to the bathroom. (These are the best shower curtains!) And then some seaside/mermaid decor went in, including pressed seaweed. The girls liked pressing the seaweed and we will probably add more pressed artwork around the house.
After the bathroom was completed, we moved on to a bedroom. When the old tub was being taken out we had the space walled up and turned into a closet for the bedroom that shared the bathroom wall. Having to work on a newly enlarged closet we had to go ahead and add proper window and wall trim and give it a nice coat of bright pastel pink paint on the walls. And that made a little girl happy.
Taking a break from housework, I pulled out some canvases and painted my largest painting to date.
In June, we lost a family member. Our Orange Tabby died in my arms one night. She had developed a growth on her tail. It was removed, and she healed well. But as time went bye, she seemed to have lost some weight. The vet said that the cancer spread through-out her body sometime after the surgery. She was adopted as an adult cat, so her age is not truly known, she is thought to have been around 8 or 10 years old.
Some time passed and a couple of weeks ago, we were in a store and there were cats for adoption. We could not pull ourselves away from a pair of kittens. So we adopted a pair of siblings. And I am a new mom again, to a little boy and girl.
Puppy is learning to be gentle with the little kittens, and to share with her new brother and sister.
During the month of July we worked tirelessly on new costumes to go to a local Renaissance Faire in August. The girls were fairies, my son was a knight-in-shining-armour with a wooden Viking inspired shield. I created my own take on Lady Almathea with more of a Princess look. I made a unicorn outfit for puppy. She didn’t really care to wear it. On the day of the faire, it was really hot, and we decided it was best for her to stay home. Which was good because it was really busy and we were buying things. Our hands would of been too full to hold her lead. 😉
In mid-July the drain hose to the washing machine decided to pop out of the wall. Water went into the master bedroom and all the way down into the garage. The insurance company said they are not doing anything about it because we already used our one time insurance claim on the kitchen when the dishwasher broke. So what is the purpose of having coverage… to pay others to do nothing for when you need help?. There was a water damage company called in, they said it would cost $3,500 just to open up rooms and dry out the wood. No thanks. So we ripped open the garage and some floors. Dryed out and replaced what we could for now. Next Spring we will dig in deeper and work on remodeling the laundry room and a closet instead of what we wanted to do. Which was another bathroom. That got pushed to 2018.
I have a new computer to learn how to work with. No properly sized photo viewer and a tiny keyboard is a big issue for me. You have no idea how many times I have click on CAPS, or had to backspace to fix misspells just on this post alone. 😦
I can’t wait for things to settle down here and then I can have time to work on a photography project that I have been wanting to do!
Now it is time to get the kids ready for school again. We do have plans to work on the dinning room soon. Hope to have it done before Thanksgiving, depends on when we actually start. For that room we have to take down wall paper and chair rails. We will continue working with bead-board. And I have a couple of furniture pieces that were saved from the side of the road to fix up. Hooray storage coming soon!